Saturday, September 6, 2008

Handmade Conversation

I recently had a conversation with my 28 year old brother about handmade items as he was giving me opinions on some of my things. I love his opinion because he really gives it to me straight and is very honest about what he likes and dislikes. I told him he always sounds so surprised in his emails to me when he really likes something that I just made. His reply was that they look nice and professional, not handmade. (his words, not mine)

What do people really think? I'm not trying to start a debate here, but it really got me thinking about how people view handmade items. They're not produced on a major assembly line by a machine, so there will be slight variances and differences among pieces. Is it a bad thing for an item to be viewed as "handmade" vs. nice and professional? I'm sure that there is a market out there for both, and I know that plenty of people go to craft shows and such looking for unique handmade items.

Anyways, our conversation really made me think as I prepare for upcoming fall craft shows. Do people really value the fact that my items come from a stay-at-home-Mommy who works during naptime and bedtime and tries to make high-quality items? Hmmm....something to think about.

3 comments:

kim* said...

i dont think the3 majority of cosumers care about mommies making and living out their dreams of being with their children. they just dont care. i think the ones that make handmade are the ones that care because they are the ones that support eachother, mostly. not saying that some non crafters dont care cause its not true. i do wish that people opened their eyes to see how important it is for moms to stay home and that it is ok to work from home and to start supporting at all cost and at least when money permits.

kim* said...

ps- im not a mom. i do craft n sell tho

Karin Schueller said...

Hmmm...I think that there is a BIG variety. Here's the deal. There is homemade and handmade. I like handmade items. I love knowing that someone took the time to make it, and try to make it really well. But sometimes I see things that are homemade. They aren't made with the same level of care. They are not 'artsy'. They are the people just doing it to make some money but don't have any real care in making a great product. (This is just my opinion, don't shoot me! LOL) So for me it really depends. I don't mind a little flaw...it is what shows me someone made it. (A beautiful thing is never perfect). But I still want it to be WELL made.

I do agree with the previous poster though, that some people really don't care. But I think the people shopping on Etsy do. :)