Monday, November 19, 2012

The Calming Jar


When I pinned the calming jar on Pinterest, I knew I had to try it out for my five year old. She is a very well-behaved child normally, but she does go from hot to cold pretty quickly. She loves glitter and all things girly, so it was worth a shot.

The original directions came from this blog here--http://www.herewearetogether.com/2011/06/27/another-mind-jar/ and worked fairly well. I used purple glitter glue, warm water, a mixture of regular glitter (just added until it looked like enough), and some drops of vegetable oil to help separate everything. I used an empty jar from the pantry, but it is important to know your child here. Do not give a glass jar to an upset child that may be tempted to drop or throw it. You could always use an empty peanut butter container or other plastic jar. Once everything was mixed together, we still had big glops of glitter glue, but she noticed that if she shook it sideways, it started breaking up.

The above picture is our actual calming jar, and it's a beautiful purple color. The whole project took less than 5 minutes to make. While I'm not sure how effective it will be for calming/ replacing time outs, she does like it and enjoys spending time watching it. Hope this helps some of the other Moms!

No comments: