Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday's Featured Etsy Seller and Team Member--Goose Hill Designs!

I met this seller through Twitter, and she's now a Spotted Box member (and on the EtsyMoms team, too)! She has amazing party favors for children and for baby showers or new parents. She's getting ready to celebrate her one year Etsy-versary on April 1st and is offering all of my blog readers a 10% discount on their orders in her shop for the entire month of April! Use the code "tscrapper" in the notes to seller when purchasing. Happy browsing and shopping!

-What is your shop name and URL?

-Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you. (Hobbies, achievements, favorite something-or-other, family situation, jobs, etc)
My husband and I were married in 2001 after dating for just over two months. We then moved four times in three years before he left the Navy. Now we are in my home state of NY where I am a stay at home Mom to our 3.5 yr old son Noah. Fortunately my husband is supportive of my addiction to all things crafty and has even given up his half of our home office so that I could expand my studio.

-What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
Right now I sell primarily molded crayons. I have many different shapes and sets available; and specialize in creating custom favors for birthday parties and holidays. I also create scrabble tile pendants, and baby washcloth gift sets. I have several new products in the works and I really look forward to adding many of those items as time allows.

-To which Etsy Street Teams do you belong (if any)?
EtsyMom & The Spotted Box

-What inspires your creations?
My inspiration has always come from my family. Everything I make is the product of a need or desire of myself or my son. Having a vision of something and being able to create it for yourself is extremely satisfying!

-Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.
I have always been a creative person but never really put any time into a craft. In March 2008 I ordered a shopping cart cover on ebay. When it arrived I was so dissappointed by the quality. Suddenly I had a light bulb moment and I knew I could do better. Within a matter of days I purchased my first sewing machine and Goose Hill Designs was born! I literally watched the DVD it came with which taught me how to thread my machine and sew a few basic stitches. I sold my first cart cover on Ebay one week later. Nine months and 105 cart covers after that I retired to pursue a few new crafts. Everything I do is self-taught. If I see something that I would like to use, or that I would like to buy for my son I know it will be worthwhile to create. Having the freedom to create whatever you want is not always a good thing though. These days I walk into the craft store and I think "Oh I could make that!" and " I can make that!". Sometimes it's tough to remember what I went in for!

-What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)?
I love my alphabet crayon set.

-Why is it your favorite? (Please provide a link)
It is such a fun, unique gift for kids and I think it sets me apart from other shops. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21768002

-What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
Driven, Creative, Devoted

-What do you like about Etsy?
I love the community. Between the forums, the treasuries and the teams, Etsy does a great job of getting everyone to interact with eachother. I also love the support. Setting up your shop and maintaining everything is very user-friendly!

-What makes your shop unique?
I have really tried to create a pleasant visual experience in my shop. I work hard creating crisp pictures and detailed decriptions. I think when you put a lot of time and energy into something it will show.
-What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?
The best advice I can give to anyone is to stay fresh and get yourself out there! Continually adding new items to your shop will challenge your creativity and keep you excited. Get on the forums, network whenever you can. If you love your shop and love what you are doing your customers can't help but be attracted to you. Also if you want to be more creative just start refering to your workspace as your "studio". It works! :o)

-Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations (please include a link)?
Visit my website http://www.goosehilldesigns.com/. Sign up for my newsletter to receive all the latest updates!

No comments: