Monday, March 16, 2009

Saving money on meals/ Monday post

This is not my normal post on here, as I typically focus on business items and new ideas. However, in my effort to save my family money and become more organized in the process, I've discovered a few recipe websites to share. I've also decided to start planning our menus for the week. Anyone who knows me knows that I hate to cook, and I'm not a very good cook. My hubby is just now in Phase 2 of South Beach, so at least he can eat some normal foods again. Therefore, I have to have recipes to follow. I'll let you know how this first week goes.

The first website is http://orgjunkie.com/ and her Menu Planning Monday section. She includes her recipes for the week, as well as links to several of the recipes. Other readers comment w/ their recipes for the week, so there are tons to choose from!

The second website is http://www.5dollardinners.com/ where the entire meal costs $5 or less. If you click on the Bargain Meal of the Week on the right side, other bloggers create a meal based on what's on sale at particular stores that week. You can pick your grocery store. Love it!

So, here's what I'm going to try for the week:
Monday--1. leftover pot roast w/ veggies and 2. sausage/ wheat noodles from the weekend
Tuesday--Italian Pork chops w/ veggies http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2009/01/italian-pork-chops.html
Wednesday--20 Clove Chicken from the Kraft magazine that just came in the mail
Thursday--Spinach Pasta again from the Kraft magazine
Friday--Some kind of soup and salad, as it's supposed to turn cold again in Ohio :(

I would love to hear other tips/ recipes from my readers. I need easy recipes that are also somewhat healthy and fast to make. Thanks!

3 comments:

Mommy Bear said...

Great websites! I'm trying to save money anyway I can and these are definitely helpful sites. Thanks for sharing.

Sewing-Chick said...

Hello from one Central Ohioian to another :)

Spinach pasta sounds yummy! I'll have to check out those websites too. Here's one you might like: www.cooks.com. It lets you enter ingredients in the search bar, and then it pulls up recipes with those ingredients. It's great for using up what you have.

I read that you taught fifth grade-- where at? I teach 5-8th grades Music in Reynoldsburg but am on maternity leave right now.

tscrapper said...

I used to teach 5th grade in SWL schools but I've been home w/ my daughter for 2 years now.

I'll definitely check out the other website--thanks!