Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday's Featured Seller--Jewelry by Desiree!

I can't believe that it's Friday already, but I have another featured team member from The Spotted Box team! Meet Desiree of Jewelry by Desiree. It was so nice to get to know someone with successful shops on other selling venues--Artfire and Shop Handmade!

What is your shop name and URL?
My shop name is Jewelry by Desiree. I actually have 2 shops the first on Artfire http://jewelrybydesiree.artfire.com/ and the other is on Shop Handmade http://jewelrybydesiree.shophandmade.com/

-Tell me two (or more!) interesting things about you. (Hobbies, achievements, favorite something-or-other, family situation, jobs, etc)
Lets see, well my full time job is as an architect with a multi-national architecture firm headquartered in Atlanta. I've been living in Georgia since 2005. We relocated down here from New Jersey where both my husband and I grew up. Besides jewelry design one of my passions is soccer. I played for 10 years before a knee injury convinced me that I'd be better off watching instead of playing. I have coached for a local soccer club in my county for the past three years.

-What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
I don't have an Etsy shop but I'll tell you what's in my Artfire studio. I design, make and sell jewelry and wine charms. I'm hoping to expand into keychains and cell phone laynards sometime in the near future.

-To which Etsy Street Teams do you belong (if any)?
Again no Etsy but I belong to Artfire Guilds. I am the Guild Master of Georgia Artisans. I am also a member of Blogfire, We Love Artfire, Artfire Jewelry Design & Jewelry Supply and Artisan Jeweler Guild.

-What inspires your creations?
Anything and everything. Maybe it's a cool bead, color combination, painting, drawing or anything else.

-Tell me a bit about your creative process and/or how you learned to do what you do.
I am completely self-taught. I have learned by scowering the internet for various tutorials of I've come up with my own way of doing something. I have written a few tutorials on my blog as well as http://byhand.me/ and ArtDaily on Artfire. I always keep a notebook on me in case inspiration strikes. The last time it did I was in a project team meeting at my day job.

-What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)?
My favorite item in my shop is my Painter's Canvas Set. It's a bracelet and pair of earrings. You can see it here: http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=ViewListing&product_id=72954

-Why is it your favorite? (Please provide a link)
When I found these beads I wasn't even looking for them. I was on my way out of the isle at the store and had to wait for someone to pass before I could make my way out of the isle and there they were. The beads emind me of the painter Jackson Pollack's works.

-What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
compasionate, outgoing, creative

-What do you like about Etsy?
I don't but I love Artfire's admin. They are always on twitter or in the forums to help you out whenever you need it. I'm not quite sure when they sleep!

-What makes your shop unique?
Jewelry is by and far the largest category of handmade selling venue. Each artisan that creates jewelry is unique and all of their creations are in turn unique. This is due to the fact that no two of us are the same or have the same personalities or styles.

-What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?
For the sellers out there the best advice that I can give is to ask lots of questions and to promote like crazy. All of the Artisans on Artfire are a great bunch. You need only to post a question on the forums and there's always someone that is willing to try to help you out. For buyers my best advice is to read the seller's policies before making a purchase.

-Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations (please include a link)?

No comments: